anotherlongshot (anotherlongshot) wrote,

Last night, when I went to bed at 2ish a.m. after finding myself unable to keep my eyes open anymore for tennis, I heard a strange, rather loud sound just as I was about to fall asleep. It was a weird scraping sound, like a coarse brush being dragged against a rough surface.

I was already almost asleep when I faintly heard the sound, jolting me awake. What unnerved me, apart from not knowing what it was, what produced it, where it came from, was how loud it was - meaning it could not have come from the roads outside, or somewhere downstairs. Meaning it must have been produced in my room.

I tried to convince myself that I hadn't actually heard it; that maybe I imagined hearing it as I was tired enough to be close to falling asleep. That nearly worked - until I heard it again.

This time round, I was literally frozen in fear. I was unable to move for a good ten minutes, my back turned to where the sound appeared to have been made, frozen in the position that I was in when I tried going back to sleep before hearing it again, staring into the darkness. My body started heating up; I couldn't even move to adjust the blanket.

There was another night when I heard the buzz of a beetle's wings when I was trying to sleep. That freaked me out for a bit too. Last night's phantom sound, though, instilled fear in me that I'd never felt. I didn't know what the sound was; I didn't know what produced it; the room was dark and I was turned away from the room; I couldn't see; and I couldn't move. I was mentally screaming at myself to move, to move, to turn on the light.

I don't know how long I was frozen in that position; probably 15 minutes. Eventually, I forced myself to get up and turn on the light. There was nothing there. I couldn't even spot an insect or, I don't know, a giant lizard.

I went out to watch some tennis to calm myself down. I was very, VERY tired and all I wanted to do was sleep. The living room was too uncomfortable. I went back to my room, checked it again, saw nothing; then I slept with the light on.


In other news, Roger steamrolled Juan Monaco today, reaching his 30th consecutive quarter-final in a grand slam.

They had to wait for the horrible Wozniacki/Kuznetsova match to end before they could play. When the horrible match ended after 3 hours, it was about 11.40 p.m. Roger and Monaco took the court at about 11.50 p.m.

I predicted that he'd be in such a hurry to get off the court and get to bed that he'd only give Monaco 3 games. I was right: he wiped the court with Monaco, 6-1, 6-2, 6-0.

6-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't remember the last time Roger bagelled an opponent. I felt bad for Monaco as it was evident that he really tried out there, but there was nothing he could do, and I rooted for the bagel.

I hope Roger gives Tsonga the same treatment. I'm definitely not expecting an assault of a similar scoreline, but please, a respectable 3-set victory is all I'm asking for. Haha.
Tags: pictures, roger federer, scary stuff, tennis, us open

  • Thoughts on the Law

    Steven Wise of the Nonhuman Rights Project gave a talk at the faculty today as part of the Talking Animals, Law and Philosophy series that Raffael…

  • In Edinburgh, Post-Amsterdam

    Wouter met me at my hotel, waited outside for ten minutes while I changed. He took me to the Sky Lounge at Hilton Double Tree. He bought me a glass…

  • The Foundation of Now

    I am reading my old entries while having lunch because I am self-absorbed like that, and I came across an entry that I wrote in January 2013 that…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment