1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
-Attended a Court of Appeal hearing as someone who actually worked on the file
-Argued a hearing on my own
-Exercised my democratic duty by voting
-Almost broke up my first long-term relationship
-Continued to stay in my first long-term relationship and crossed the two-year mark
-Went for my first (and probably last) massage
-Had an amazing birthday celebration with Wei Chuen (i.e. my birthday)
-Cried over a tennis match
-Sold stuff on eBay
-Rushed to the A&E and thought I was dying over a freaking tissue inflammation of my goddamn rib
-Quit my first real job and stepped foot in a government agency, any government agency, as an employee
-Attended financial/banking/etc courses. I have no words
-Started writing a lot less
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year, I resolved to "strive at happiness and dig myself out of the hole in which I'm stuck". I sort of got out of the hole in that I quit my job but I am afraid that was merely scraping the surface.
For next year, I resolve, once and for all, to fucking lose weight and get myself back to 50 kilos. It'd better happen.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin gave birth to baby Adrianna who is super cute and all Eurasian and stuff.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Taiwan, Australia, Vietnam.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
I think the politically-correct answer would be something like humility and tolerance but I refuse to apologise for my arrogance. I would, however, like to write - not more, but at all, in 2012.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My birthday with Wei Chuen because it was simply incredible.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting one of my crap "stories" published, even if it was just online. I would have liked to win the competition that I entered but we can't have it all.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I seem to say this every year - failing to write, really. As for something more concrete, I'd probably say failing to give enough of a shit about my next job. I don't know.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Apparently I might have caused some tissue in my rib to become inflamed while playing tennis. Or maybe it was caused by PMS. Or something. I don't know. I love how I saw two doctors and both couldn't tell me exactly what was wrong with my rib.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Without a shadow of a doubt, my Australian Open tickets.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Wei Chuen for sticking by me regardless of how hard I try to push him away.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I must say that Roger choking that US Open semi-final away was appalling and depressed me to no end.
Apart from that, I couldn't really say. Singaporeans in genral for being the way they are, random people on the Internet for being trolls, nothing really specific.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Definitely my Australian Open trip. It was a sizeable amount, too. Additionally, I threw a lot of money at various universities while begging them on bended knee to take me in for their graduate programmes.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The birthday surprise that Wei Chuen planned for me. Now I'm getting really excited about my Australian Open trip. Please remind me to put this - AO trip - as my answer to this question next year.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I can't think of anything.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a. Happier for sure. I was happiest when I wasn't working but I'm definitely happier now that I've left my previous job.
b. Hopefully I'm thinner but I highly doubt that.
c. Richer. I saved some of my salary.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spent so much money on tennis outfits.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I went to my grandma's house for our usual Christmas lunch, which was a lot more fun than I was expecting. We Skyped my cousin and her baby who are both living in Serbia now (the husband and dad is a Serb). Then I watched Mission: Impossible whatever with Wei Chuen at 11.30 p.m.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Remained in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Soooo many: Revenge (love Emily Vancamp in this one), Ringer (Buffy's back!), Game of Thrones (dragons, gore and incest - what could possibly be better?), True Blood (freaking LOVE this), Boardwalk Empire, the Secret Circle...
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. I can't be bothered most of the time.
24. What was the best book you read?
Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending and Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. Barnes is my favourite writer for his amazing ability to write prose that speaks to me. Rushdie is becoming one of my favourites for his frenetic, energetic and subtly hilarious prose. Barnes is more introspective while Rushdie is more intellectual, at least when comparing these two books. I can't choose between the two. My bias for Barnes probably tips his novel in his favour.
Seriously I'd shit my pants if I ever met Julian Barnes in person, probably even more than I would when meeting Roger. (I'd let everyone know my reaction when I meet him in Australia next year. That's like 15 days away omg.)
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
God, this is so tragic, but I don't listen to music much anymore.
26. What did you want and get?
An Australian Open trip. Hooray.
27. What did you want and not get?
I wanted the National Arts Council to give me some cash for the story that I submitted but alas, it was not to be.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I know what I'm going to say next year: The Dark Knight Rises.
Inception was last year. Hmm. I can't think of anything at the moment.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Refer to my entry. :) I was 25.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Friends and my brother coming home.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Can't be bothered with work clothes and buy lots of going-out clothes when I go shopping, not to mention tons of cute-as-hell tennis outfits that I won't even wear that much.
32. What kept you sane?
I had a pretty good year actually, especially compared to last year. I guess my sanity was returned to me the minute I tendered my resignation from my previous job.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Roger Federer without question.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The general elections obviously. Outside of Singapore, Kim Jong-il fucking off from this world made me very happy.
35. Who did you miss?
Mag. I missed working in the same room as her and having her around to bitch to when people start to annoy me and going for lunch with her on a whim and just having my best friend around.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My honest answer right now is the tennis forum guy that wrote the article I posted in my earlier entry. He's absolutely hilarious. I think when I meet him in Melbourne we'd spend most of our time insulting each other. But then the jury's still out on this one; until we've interacted in real life it's quite hard to say whether we could be actual friends if we lived in the same country.
In real life, a fellow legal counsel that befriended me almost immediately when I joined my new work place. We complain about work all the time on Office Communicator to each other. The thing that we say most to each other is "I am so sleepy" or "I want to go home". Yes it is that bad. She's also my Red Mango buddy - when I get bored or am falling asleep at my desk I'd ask her to go buy some fro-yo with me and she always does. She's very sweet.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I am incapable of learning valuable life lessons.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I've always hated this question.
This questionnaire has made me beyond exhausted.
Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.