-Lived by myself in a foreign country and loved it
-Met Roger Federer
-Played tennis in 3 degrees weather
-Saw ice on tennis courts
-Made friends with people who aren't Singaporeans
-Watched Federer play tennis from the first row
-Saw Stonehenge - it was amazing and freezing cold
-Cooked proper food
-I don't want to remember the sad stuff
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Apparently, last year I resolved as follows: "For next year, I resolve, once and for all, to fucking lose weight and get myself back to 50 kilos. It'd better happen."
...Yeah, I haven't weighed myself in forever but I'm pretty sure I'm not 50 kilos, especially not after stuffing my face in Singapore and Taipei all day long.
This year, I resolve to graduate with a first. If I don't, I am not attending my graduation ceremony.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. My Taiwanese cousin.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
United Kingdom, Australia, Taiwan.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The obvious one is November 13, the day I met Roger.
The entire period from end September to early December because I was in London.
The few days in May when I was in Taipei with Wei Chuen.
Again, I don't want to talk about the sad things.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Registering as a graduate student at the LSE.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Cheating on my boyfriend and pulling a Harvey Dent.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I buy so many things that it's hard to keep track, but off the top of my head: my first row ticket to Roger's WTF semi-final against Andy Murray and my Dorothy Perkins biker jacket.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I don't know.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
My LLM and living expenses (and other miscellaneous expenses) in London.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I was excited about my Australian Open trip. I wasn't excited about going to London but I should have been. I was excited about watching Roger and the other players at the World Tour Finals. Finally, I was excited about possibly finally finding some direction in life towards the end of November/early December.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
It's Not Your Fault by Athlete and probably a bunch of clubbing songs.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a. It's split between the two, but 'happier' probably edges it since I have London and my studies to run away to.
b. Fatter. Bleah.
c. Definitely poorer considering I'm unemployed.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Write. Same damn answer every day.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
See answer to biggest failure.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas wasn't anything to shout about, but Christmas Eve was pretty wicked - went clubbing with Wei Chuen and his friends at Aquanova and got a bit drunk. It was really fun.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Person of Interest, hands down.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. I can't be bothered most of the time.
24. What was the best book you read?
Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. I didn't like the first third, but the rest of the novel was simply stunning - so much truth and true philosophy about life, no cheap philosophical masturbation, just the truth about human beings and the human condition. I could relate so much to the protagonist's loneliness when he first moved to London as I felt the same too, though I got over that pretty quickly.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Athlete, without a shadow of a doubt. I LOVE them.
26. What did you want and get?
A picture with Roger Federer!
27. What did you want and not get?
Nothing really comes to mind. Well, I wanted Roger to win the World Tour Finals but I don't think that really counts.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Dark Knight Rises. "The fire rises!" I watched this five times in the theatres, 3 times in IMAX. LOVE IT.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Wow, I genuinely don't remember. I was 26.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I really just wear whatever I want.
32. What kept you sane?
That's a really good question. Perhaps it was what Hobbes believed to be our innate sense of self-preservation, or an instinctive fear of suicide, or whatever. I don't know.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Roger Federer, duh.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Nothing comes to mind. How sad.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Sachiyo, Vlada, Cordelia, Sina.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Two words: Harvey Dent.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
It's not your fault
You didn't see it coming
90 miles an hour
Gone so fast and now you're left with nothing