- Travelled by myself (Melbourne 2012 didn't really count because I met a friend there)
- Met Julian Barnes
- Got a Master's degree
- Went on a road trip
- Acted out in a slutty manner, if you know what I mean
- Further to the above: did that with non-Chinese men
- Went to Wimbledon; queued for hours for a grounds pass
- Saw fireworks in Paris on my birthday and finally fulfilled one of my life-long dreams
- Saw more of Europe than ever, albeit still not enough; saw the Coliseum and fulfilled another life-long dream
- Saw fireworks in London as the clock struck 12
- Wrote 8,000-word essays
- Job-hunted in London
- Sunk into depression over not finding a job; in Singapore, getting a job would send me into depression
- Seriously tried to network
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I resolved as follows: "This year, I resolve to graduate with a first. If I don't, I am not attending my graduation ceremony."
Probably the only resolution that I kept, ever. And no, I will not make any for this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my cousins.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
This needs to be listed (in chronological order):
1. The Netherlands - Rotterdam (February)
2. France - Paris (July)
3. Germany - Berlin (August)
4. The Netherlands - Amsterdam (September)
5. France; Germany - Munich; Austria; Slovenia - Ljubijana; Croatia - Brela, Makarska, Brac; Montenegro- Kotor; Bosnia - somewhere (September)
6. Italy - Rome (October)
7. Portugal - Lisbon and Sintra (November)
8. France - Paris (December)
9. Spain - Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Toledo (December)
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A job and an income.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My road trip with Arnaud because it was pretty damn special; August 22 beacuse of the mad rush in submitting my essays; December 19 because of graduation; my trip with Mag; my parents being in London and our trips to Paris and Spain.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a distinction and a prize.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting a job. Not being a good enough girlfriend.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I fell really ill in Rotterdam when I stood in the cold for three hours stalking Federer. I don't know how I managed to still walk around Rotterdam with my awful fever.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Um. I don't know. Burberry Brit perfume?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Arnaud's, for being a sweetheart.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My own and the London job market generally.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travelling and my rent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My road trip with Arnaud.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Probably Britney Spears' Seal It With a Kiss because I have a very clear memory of me listening to that song as I walked back - or tried to walk back - to my hotel after the fireworks ended on July 14. Seeing the fireworks in Paris on my birthday was definitely one of the best moments of my life, so the accompanying soundtrack holds special significance as well.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a. Happier. I finished my LL.M. with a bang, have an awesome boyfriend, and am still living in London.
b. Probably fatter.
c. Definitely poorer considering I'm still unemployed and I live in a pretty expensive flat.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Write. Same damn answer every day. <--- Same. Damn. Answer.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Can't think of anything. I can't say that I wish I'd done less slutty things because I don't regret it, though that seems like the obvious answer. Maybe I wish I had cried less. I don't know.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas walking around the touristy parts of Granada in the rain and feeling miserable.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Still Person of Interest.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope but I dislike someone that I didn't dislike this time last year.
24. What was the best book you read?
Didn't read nearly as many books as I'd hoped, but really liked Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory. Even though I'm not religious, he conveyed the priest's inner conflict really well and very expertly brought to life the entire atmosphere of fear and danger that permeated Mexico's religious persecution.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Britney Spears. Not even joking.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Didn't watch too many movies unfortunately.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Fireworks in Paris. 27.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My distinction, my boyfriend, all my travelling, having Mag in London, having my parents in London, the partying...oh wait, I was supposed to name just one thing. Oops.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still Roger Federer, but even that has waned somewhat.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Hmm I don't know.
35. Who did you miss?
My parents, Mag, Arnaud when he was away.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
I'm too cynical for life lessons.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"The beat just dropped and the room got sexy
You're watching me like there's no one else around
I know you want me like kids want candy
So keep watching me go down and up and down"
(Britney Spears, Up and Down)