1. I woke up 1 hour and 45 minutes later than I'd intended.
2. After breakfast and a shower, I went to Fitzbillies to do some journal work. The original plan, the same one that was delayed by my failure to get out of bed in a timely manner, was to go there at 10am (HA! I LAUGH AT MY UTTERLY MISPLACED OPTIMISM). When I was finally there, it was pretty much already noon.
3. I spent three fucking hours revising the handbook and emailing someone at the publisher about house style. I'd honestly thought that it would take maybe an hour, an hour and a half at the most, zip in and out, and do some proper PhD work in the afternoon. HA! I laugh at my blank-faced naivete! It didn't help that my stupid Firefox was slow and laggy and was on the verge of crashing, as always. I don't know what's wrong with it. More importantly, I don't know what's wrong with me: why do I keep using a shitty browser? Oh wait, it's because all my passwords are stored in this one and I can't be arsed to start storing passwords in Chrome for the precise reason that I don't remember any of my passwords, which means I'd need to reset pretty much everything if I switch browsers. So utterly annoying.
4. The only saving grace about my mid-to-early afternoon was Matt. Not only did he give me free coffee again, but he randomly gave me a plate of salad that someone had prepared for Instagram. Save for the coriander which will forever be my mortal enemy, the salad was delicious: curried cauliflower, dried coconut, apricots, spinach, some kind of yogurt dressing. YUM. It also saved me the trouble of making lunch/deciding whether to go back for lunch and leave the handbook thing half-done, so yay for that. But I felt really bad about sitting there for three hours and spending absolutely no money, so I made sure that I paid for my second cup of coffee. That assuaged my guilt a little bit.
5. I spent a grand total of an hour doing PhD work. Fucking hell, I am so fucked.
6. The college library is getting too claustrophobic with all the undergrads/new students. I couldn't sit in there for more than an hour when people started coming in to the law room. I think I'm going to have to either work in my room or go to the faculty. Sigh!
7. Tonight's hitting session with Jay was great. He was hitting the ball really hard, and I felt like I was hitting the ball really cleanly. I think my love for tennis is slowly inching its way back into my heart. I hadn't seen Jay for over a week, and that had felt really weird because prior to my two weeks of working on the Yale paper, I'd seen him at least once a week for months on end. We've even started hanging out off the tennis court. So it was nice to see him again.
8. I started watching Riverdale. Hahaha. I'm such a teenybopper.
9. Orphan Black has ended. :( It was a good series finale though. And I just have to record this: I absolutely love - LOVE - Tatiana Maslany's work as Rachel in episode 7 of Season 5. She's great at pretty much all the characters - Krystal is fucking hilarious, and Sarah imitating Krystal was even more hilarious - but I love her as Rachel. That steely composure, slowly breaking down, the beneath-the-surface panic as she struggles to hold on to her cool-as-ice, in-control facade; she conveys Rachel's hurt and bewilderment and sense of betrayal with the slightest flinch in the face, so quick and imperceptible that you'd miss it if you blinked. Her eventual meltdown (though I would hardly call digging out your own synthetic eye with the broken stem of a martini glass a 'meltdown') was not just believable; it was heartbreaking. How did Tatiana make me feel sympathy for this ice-cold bitch? Simply amazing.
10. I'm finally going to London for the first time since the end of July. The mission? To cut my hair. I'd like to do some shopping too.
11. The Yale conference schedule has been sent out. Kaara is going to the conference too! So excited! She's my coolest friend here and one of my rare female friends. New York is going to be even more fun! (Well, I assume she's going to New York. Maybe I shouldn't assume this. But New Haven will be even more fun!)